After building the lightbulb using a carbon filament, we read about his experiments to enhance the ability of platinum to withstand high temperatures needed for incandescence.
It was an article that had difficult and unfamiliar vocabulary, so as a class we broke it down in the following way:
- Identified vocabulary that was unfamiliar, entered the words into a Google form
- Researched “top 30” words as identified by the classes using a Lib Guide created by WHS Library
- Created a custom glossary for the article
- Divided 6 key paragraphs and re-wrote them in small groups using the student created glossary
- Incorporated feedback on rough drafts through shared Google Doc
- Presented the “before” and “after” results
Students did a great job decoding the work and (hopefully) learned the value of working in groups when trying to read a difficult text.
Students are learning the important skill in how to research, it will be fascinating to see what they find on their topic
It’s been quiet lately due to the awesome effort the students have been putting into preparing for midterm exams. Today we started term 3, discussing Newton’s 2nd Law (N2L) while continuing with N3L and drawing FBD.
I wrote my notes and posted them through google classroom using Evernote, but then in class I liked what I drew on the board, and was able to amend my evernote file by adding a picture using my phone, this immediately propagated to Google Classroom through the link and all my students now have access to the information.
I was really pleased with using Google Classroom last year. There is a new feature that I’m excited to use is the Question Feature.
Working on setting up my classroom and getting lessons set for the first few days of school.
One thing I’m really excited about using in class this year is my PocketLab that came in the mail last month after a very successful kickstarter last school year.