After building the lightbulb using a carbon filament, we read about his experiments to enhance the ability of platinum to withstand high temperatures needed for incandescence.
It was an article that had difficult and unfamiliar vocabulary, so as a class we broke it down in the following way:
- Identified vocabulary that was unfamiliar, entered the words into a Google form
- Researched “top 30” words as identified by the classes using a Lib Guide created by WHS Library
- Created a custom glossary for the article
- Divided 6 key paragraphs and re-wrote them in small groups using the student created glossary
- Incorporated feedback on rough drafts through shared Google Doc
- Presented the “before” and “after” results
Students did a great job decoding the work and (hopefully) learned the value of working in groups when trying to read a difficult text.
It’s been quiet lately due to the awesome effort the students have been putting into preparing for midterm exams. Today we started term 3, discussing Newton’s 2nd Law (N2L) while continuing with N3L and drawing FBD.
I wrote my notes and posted them through google classroom using Evernote, but then in class I liked what I drew on the board, and was able to amend my evernote file by adding a picture using my phone, this immediately propagated to Google Classroom through the link and all my students now have access to the information.
We are trying out an online study group to accompany after-school help through Google Docs. I shared a document with all three of my Physical Science students through Google Classroom, that they can ask questions in (until a certain time!) and I’ll answer them as they appear.
After the study group is closed, I made the group view only so that they could still access the file.